Show HN: I've built a child monitoring app with mitmproxy and WireGuard https://ift.tt/rOiDfBK

Show HN: I've built a child monitoring app with mitmproxy and WireGuard Hi! I've been working on a child monitoring service and I'd really appreciate your input on it. The structure of the service is pretty technically interesting. It sets up a wireguard VPN on the child's Windows account, and then routes the traffic to our server. From there, we use mitmproxy to break open the TLS, inspect the packets, and then re-encrypt them. Currently all images are passed through an ImageNetV2 model, and for sites like reddit or google, individual links/communities are analyzed and we remove the content if it violates the filters without impacting the overall browsing experience. Coming soon(ish) will be a 8B uncensored llama3 model, which will allow parents to create custom filters for filtering content. I've always felt like child monitoring systems are missing the bigger picture when it comes to content filtering. I certainly remember being a little kid (9-ish) and coming across adult content I shouldn't have been seeing, but I also recall encountering subreddits and other online groups that laid the groundwork for my personality, without my parent ever knowing what was happening. The fact that as a child, I declared I no longer believed in God before I stopped believing in Santa was not the result of being some super genius, but because I was regurgitating what I read on r/atheism as gospel. Parents need more control over what their kids see, and as the internet develops more mature communities child filters need to keep up. It is not enough to simply hope your kid turns out normal, because there are companies actively working against you. The service is $20 a month, although it's 50% off for the first two months while we're in early access. We also only do Windows at the moment, although I'd like to expand (especially to linux) later this year. Let me know what you think! https://ift.tt/Av2BcLd June 30, 2024 at 10:44PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coalition government deal in Pakistan leaves Imran Khan’s party out of power - CNN